Sunday 10 August 2014

Weekly Recommendation - Week #005 - The Electrifying 80's

Hey citizens of whatever, this week's recommendations come to you from the glorious 1980's or are set in the fabled decade. We have scoured the planet in search of our picks and aren't they just amazing? What we're amazing too? We know, you're fucking welcome, by the way. Anyway, enough ego fellatio, let's get to it.

Red Dwarf - BBC (Series) - Author: Darren

Red Dwarf is a sci-fi comedy set aboard a huge red, vaguely phallic, mining ship named Red Dwarf. The main focus is the crew, or at least the two (technically) surviving members (and a computer, neurotic android, and narcissistic cat-man) as they journey through space on the long journey back to Earth. This allows for a concentration on the absurd bleakness of existence and the crushing loneliness of space.
Personally, I loved the comedy. Its classic British satire at its core and the heroes are definitely not what a more 'American' audience would go for, they're the lowest of the low (vending machine technicians, levels 3 and 2) not the best at what they do. This, in a nutshell, is what makes it so great and relatable even now. The relationships between characters and their conflicting personalities are integral to the humour which, in any other format, would risk falling flat but here, it rarely does. It remains somewhat relevant and provides reliable laughs. What more could you really want?

The Touch - Stan Bush (Music) Author: Chris

As some of you may be aware, I was not born in the 80's, so I wasn't around to witness everything it had to offer, so my list of choices is relatively slim. I had to think, what song perfectly captures the 80's for me personally? Once again, I decided not to go with Talking Heads (I'm saving them, trust me), but instead, a song that (hopefully) everyone has heard. What is that song? (Yes I'm dragging this out). It is The Touch by Stan Bush. Why do I think it is acceptable? For starters, have you heard that fucking song? Well hopefully you haven't, considering I'm recommending it to you. If you have, listen to it again, right now. Well I mean it could also be due to it's expert use in the original Transformers Movie (a masterpiece by the way), but that just could be me being biased. Because I love Transformers. A hell of a lot. Are you going to judge me? If you are, let me just remind you about that thing you do. You know, THAT thing. Yeah, I know about it, and I'm not afraid to spill secrets. Wait, what are we talking about? Oh yeah, The Touch. Go give it a go, you will not be disappointed.  

Hotline Miami - Devolver Digital (Game) Author: Chris

Before you even think about saying anything I am aware that this game was not made in the 80's, but if I was to pick a game from that era, it would be something like
Pac-Man or Donkey Kong, and lets be honest, everyone has played those games, so instead I'm going with a game that is set and themed in the 80's, and that game is Hotline Miami. To put it simply, this game is insane. The colours are vibrant and varied, the style is simple yet ultra-violent, and the pacing makes Sonic the Hedgehog look like Sonic the Snail (that wasn't very eccentric of me I apologise). In Hotline Miami, you enter a level in one of many murderous power granting animal masks and attempt to kill everyone in the building. Sounds easy right? It is, for the enemy at least. You will die within seconds of entering a room, almost every time you try. Luckily you respawn instantly, so you can keep trying over and over until you make it to the next level. It may sound tedious, but trust me, it is superb. You know what? I know this is not the music recommendation, but I feel that not only must I inform you of how well the 80's electro music fits the tone and pacing of the game, but of how amazing the music generally. If you get only get one video game soundtrack this year, make it this one.

So there you have it (or not), our recommendations on 80's culture. The good stuff, that is, not the hair or clothing. Tune you anuses in next week for an extra special recommendation and rest safe in the knowledge that the 80's, for good or ill, are over.
Thanks, us.

No comments:

Post a Comment